- What is an EMR?
- How do you choose the EMR that fits you?
- Evaluation criteria
- Some EMR special features
- Where can you find the best choice?
The best anesthesia EMR software is out there for you to grab and enhance your medical facility. But first, you need to know a few things. Because choosing an EMR is a big decision, make sure to take the right one with more awareness.
What is an EMR?
To pick the right anesthesia EMR software, let’s start with what is an EMR. Basically, EMRs or electronic medical records are the digital form of the medical staff’s paper records used in clinics, offices, and hospitals. For example, EMRs can include information and notes professionals collect to diagnose and treat patients. There are many types of EMRs including pain management EMR. One of the widely used EMRs is anesthesia EMR software. In fact, this one comes with critical care equipment for monitoring blood pressure, heart rate, and the like. Moreover, it can also incorporate physiological data and store it in the patient’s file automatically.
Check out these articles after you’re done
How do you choose the EMR that fits you?
Sometimes, finding the best anesthesia EMR software for you is a challenge. On one hand, there is much software to choose from. On the other hand, you got many factors to take into consideration. Yet we can make the process easier for you.
Firstly, look for a software design specific for anesthesiologists or close to it. Basically, an anesthesia EMR software serves the special needs of offering anesthesia in multiple situations and settings. Originally, this field is a very meticulous area with slight differences in many factors like age, weight, drug interactivity, and more. All of this affects how you administer anesthesia. Thus, your chosen EMR should capture all this data. Secondly, as an anesthesiologist, you rely a lot on medical tools to detect and monitor abnormal signs in heart rate, blood pressure, and so on. Consequently, your EMR has to be capable of integrating monitors, spirometers, and similar devices.
Thirdly, anesthesiologists interact with a team of physicians and nurses so export and import of data are crucial. Plus, because an important part of your field has to do with drug interactions, you need a strong alert system. This system will notify you of any possible allergies and reactions before delivery of anesthesia.
To evaluate your anesthesia emr software, rely on the following criteria:
- The size of your practice: when some software suit small practices, other fit large ones. Match your staff number with the capacity of the EMR.
- The architecture of the system: there are many types of EMR architecture. Namely, client-server, cloud-based, SaaS, and more. So, read about the advantages and the disadvantages of each and compare them to your needs.
- Certification: when you select your anesthesia emr software, check the validity of certification by ONC-ATCB.
Some EMR special features
Previously, we covered the general features to take into consideration when choosing anesthesia EMR software. But some features are anesthesiology-specific:
- Time calculator
- Anesthesia machine data compatibility
- Ability to interact with perfusion records, surgeons’ notes and nurses’ notes
- Integration with EKG, ECG, and other tools
- Interaction with critical care equipment for monitoring that holds physiological data
- ICD/CPT codes that are exclusive to anesthesiology
EMR pros and cons
At the end of the day, don’t forget that anesthesia emr software is a type of EMR. So, awareness of the advantages and disadvantages of these leads the path:
- A more efficient way to keep records
- Everyone authorized has instant access to the records
- The least error occurrences are due to misreading transcriptions and handwriting
- Privacy and security features that protect sensitive data
- They can be very costly
- Training takes a lot of time
- Increased work due to the necessity of chart completion
- Risk for data when in the cloud
- Data loss in absence of backup
Where can you find the best choice?
The best choice would be what optimizes the pros and minimizes to cons of EMR usage. You can find this with Ambula EMR systems. Ultimately, by choosing Ambula, you choose a simple workflow, with the largest efficiency and patient care improvement. Gladly, you won’t have to worry about cost, time consumption, or communication. Also, you’ll be able to use the software intuitively and with ease. Of course, you can guarantee the reduction of human error with security and privacy matters resolved. Empower your practice with Ambula EMR software for exponential growth in the future.
Finally, we took a look at what you need to be aware of and consider when it comes to anesthesia EMR software. Remember to ask the right questions and don’t hesitate to inquire when in doubt. From certification to practice size, systems architecture to special features, you need to cover it all. There is plenty of fish in the sea, and we recommend Ambula.
For more information about Ambula anesthesia emr software, contact Ambula healthcare team: (818) 308-4108. And now discover the best free EMR systems and what works best for you.